Top in rankings
The University’s longer-term aim is to be counted among the top 50 universities in the world by 2050, continuing to play a vital role in scholarship and discovery of global significance.
- Since 2012, UWA has appeared in the top 100 universities in Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s internationally recognised Academic Ranking of World Universities and consistently appears in the top 1% of universities as judged in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and the QS rankings.
- The Academic Ranking of World Universities places UWA 25th in the world for Life and Agricultural Sciences, the highest ranking in Australia.
- In the Good Universities Guide 2015 – the foremost non-government ranking of Australian universities – UWA scored five-star rankings in student demand, graduate starting salaries, research intensivity, and research grants.
- Psychology, Education, Earth and Marine Sciences have been ranked in the world’s top 40 institutions in 2014 according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject.
- UWA is a research-intensive university and one of the internationally recognised Australian Group of Eight that also comprises the University of Queensland, The University of Sydney, The University of New South Wales, Australian National University, The University of Melbourne, Monash University and The University of Adelaide. These universities are regarded as the nation’s leading research and comprehensive institutions.
- In a recent Federal Government ranking of the quality of Australian university research, ERA 2012, UWA ranked higher than any other WA university in the quality of its academic research and was the only WA university ranked at or above the world average in all research areas.
- According to Thompson-Reuters ISI Web of Knowledge, UWA has more highly cited scholars than most other Australian universities. Highly cited scholars are considered to be within the top 200 academics worldwide in their field – UWA has 11.
- UWA attracts the highest level of research income of any Western Australian university with more than 70 per cent of all national competitive funding to the state coming to UWA.
Student and graduate quality
- The consistently high entry (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) scores for UWA mean that the University’s undergraduate cohort is the most academically talented of any West Australian university and generally is recognised as being of the highest quality in Australia.
- In the Federal Government’s annual Graduate Destination Surveys, UWA graduates consistently rank as the most employable in Western Australia. According to the survey, our graduates are employed at a greater rate than any other university graduates in Western Australia.
- In the last 60 years, students at UWA have been awarded 57 Rhodes scholarships.
- We count among our graduates:
- former Prime Minister, the Hon. Bob Hawke
- Australian Ambassador to the United States and former Deputy Prime Minister, the Hon. Kim Beazley
- Federal Government ministers, the Hon. Stephen Smith and the Hon. Christopher Evans and many current and past Federal Members of Parliament
- Nobel Prize winners Professor Barry Marshall and Emeritus Professor Robin Warren
- the Hon. Justice Robert French, Chief Justice of the High Court
- Academy Award winner Shaun Tan
- Premier, the Hon. Colin Barnett and every WA Premier since 1988 as well as many State Members of Parliament and ministers
- five of the last six Australian Ambassadors to China